Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Greenville Memorial Auditorium
This building was erected by the citizens of the Greenville community as a tribute to that glorious heritage which inspired the development and formation of the American government and the freedoms to which it aspires and is dedicated to the men and women of this community who in time of war gave freely of service and even life itself in order that this government and those freedoms might by perpetuated.
Board of Trustees
Ed. B. Smith, Chairman
L.M. Glenn, Secretary; E. Roy Stone, Junior
L.E. Brookshire; Susan L. Tillinghast
Leon Campell; T.H. Turner
John F. Drake; C. Douglas Wilson
Resolution Beginning Planning
Greenville Memorial Auditorium
Whereas, there is a dire need of such an auditorium in this community
Whereas, we believe such an auditorium would be instrumental in bringing large conventions to this community, which would be a great asset and very beneficial to Greenville City and county,
And Whereas, the United States Government is encouraging construction of such projects and is willing to assist in a large measure in financing the cost on a basis no progressive community can afford to refuse,
Therefore Be It Resolved: That the Greenville Lions Club in regular meeting assembled, this eleventh day of May, 1938, request and urge the mayor and City County of Greenville, the Chamber of Commerce and other public officials to take steps immediately for the procurement of such a project for the community, and
Be It Further Resolved: That a copy of this resolution be transmitted to the local newspapers and the secretaries of all civic and service organizations of this county, requesting their cooperation and support, to the end that an auditorium by secured for Greenville as soon as possible.
Unanimously adopted by meeting of Club on May 11, 1938. E.M. Moffett, Sec.
Committee: John L. Plyler, James F. Daniel, Jr., R.O. Tuten
Cunningham & Walker
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1938.
Location. 34° 51.117′ N, 82° 23.533′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker can be reached from North Academy Street. Marker is located in the southwest corner of the Bi-Lo Center campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 650 North Academy Street, Greenville SC 29601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clayton "Peg Leg" Bates (here, next to this marker); Little Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Selvy (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Howard (within shouting distance of this marker); "Shoeless" Joe Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); Church Street (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Here Lieth the Body of Sarah M. Crittenden (about 700 feet away); Christ Church (Episcopal) (approx. 0.2 miles away); In 1825 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brockman Park (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Also see . . .
1. Greenville Memorial Auditorium. The Greenville Memorial Auditorium was a 7,500-seat multi-purpose arena in Greenville, South Carolina, USA. (Submitted on May 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Horsemen Video. While the outside of the auditorium is not shown, this short video takes us back to its hayday, when the Greenville Memorial Auditorium was a mecca for Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling. Every Monday night, fans could see live events featuring stars rich as Rick Flair, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, and the Four Horsemen. (Submitted on May 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,903 times since then and 124 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.