Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bartonville in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bartonville

 
 
Bartonville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J FRYE Ft Worth TX, February 15, 2022
1. Bartonville Marker
Inscription.  

The town of Bartonville grew out of early post-Texas Revolution settlements in Denton County. Denton Creek, which split into the Loving Branch and the Sharps Branch, provided fresh water to the town. Early subsistence farmers found fertile sandy soil for their crops, which included peanuts, wheat, corn, cotton and barley.

In 1881, two brothers, Bentley B. Barton (1849–1905) and James M. Barton (1840–1893) purchased ten acres near the southeast corner of the A. R. Loving Survey. Situated along the Old Wagon Trail (FM 407) and the crossroad between Denton, Grapevine and Lewisville, the site proved to be a valuable center of commerce. Bentley’s store prospered, selling goods and milling wheat grown by local farmers.

The town was first known as “Barton’s Mill,” then changed to Bartonville by 1883. With the store as its hub, the community grew with the help of founding families: Breeding, Broom, Jeter and McMakin. Under the care of its numerous owners, for 130 years, the Bartonville Store proved to be a lasting center of local commerce for the community and a landmark identifier for the town. In 1960, to prevent annexation
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
by the city of Irving, Bartonville residents voted to incorporate the town.

The borders of the newly incorporated town made it the largest in the county with nearly 30 square miles which included present Double Oak and Copper Canyon. In 1964, Bartonville was disincorporated and in 1973 a smaller geographical town was reincorporated with the Bartonville Store still at its hub. The store was permanently closed in 2013 but is viewed as the original cornerstone of this rural community.
 
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18359.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
 
Location. 33° 4.45′ N, 97° 7.964′ W. Marker is in Bartonville, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Jeter Road when traveling east. The marker is located at Bartonville Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1941 E Jeter Road, Argyle TX 76226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chinn’s Chapel Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Chinn's Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Annie Webb Blanton (approx. 2.9 miles away); Old Alton Bridge
Bartonville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye Fort Worth TX, February 15, 2022
2. Bartonville Marker
(approx. 4.2 miles away); Bethel Community (approx. 4.3 miles away); Argyle (approx. 4.3 miles away); Old Alton Cemetery (approx. 4˝ miles away); Graham Argyle Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away).
 
Bartonville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye Fort Worth TX, February 15, 2022
3. Bartonville Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2022, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 15, 2022, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=192096

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024