Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Charleston Gas Light Company
Charleston Gas Light Company,
A pioneer in Public Service,
was Designed by Edward Brickell White
The South Carolina Power Company is the outgrowth of the
Charleston gas Light Company, The oldest member body in
its corporate history, which was founded 102 years ago on
December 18, 1846.
Placed by the South Carolina Power Company 1948
Approved by The Historical Commission of Charleston, S.C.
Erected by the South Carolina Power Company. (Marker Number 1948.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1959.
Location. 32° 46.729′ N, 79° 55.888′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Meeting Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Institute Hall / "The Union Is Dissolved!" (within shouting distance of this marker); Josiah Flagg (within shouting distance of this marker); Ordinance of SecessionThe Independent or Congregational Church of Charlestown (within shouting distance of this marker); Burger's Tavern (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 54 Queen Street (about 400 feet away); Trott's Cottage (about 500 feet away); The Nicholas Trott House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 884 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 20, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 4. submitted on February 7, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.