Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chatham in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chatham Historic District

Original marker

 
 
Chatham Historic District Marker, duplicate copy image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Susan Allen, circa February 15, 2017
1. Chatham Historic District Marker, duplicate copy
Original marker was thought to be lost but was found and erected at the heart of Chatham's Historic District on Main Street.
Inscription.  Scene of Washington's headquarters and massing of Continental troops prior to march on Yorktown August 27 - 29, 1781.
 
Erected 2016 by Morris County Heritage Commission and New Jersey Register of Historic Sites.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & PatriotismSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is August 27, 1781.
 
Location. 40° 44.464′ N, 74° 23.017′ W. Marker is in Chatham, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Elmwood Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 262 Main Street, Chatham NJ 07928, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Chatham Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); New Jersey Journal (approx. half a mile away); Day's Bridge Summit (approx. half a mile away); Chatham (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bonnel Town - Chatham (approx. 0.8 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Chatham Colony Association (approx. 1˝ miles away); Tuttle Oak II (approx. 1˝ miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Chatham Township (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chatham.
 
More about this marker. The original marker went missing between 1976 and 1983. A replacement was requested and the Morris County Heritage Commission made a replacement marker #2.

Following the original marker's discovery in 2014, the Chatham Historical Society, assisted by the Morris County Heritage Commission, which provided marker history and rejuvenation, the marker was installed.

Due to the immense size of the Historic District, a location was chosen in the heart of Chatham's Historic District.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2017, by Susan Allen of Chatham, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on February 19, 2022, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photo   1. submitted on September 3, 2017, by Susan Allen of Chatham, New Jersey. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=192241

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024