El Campo in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
El Campo Independent School District
In its early history the district leased a Methodist Episcopal Church building, restaurant, store, and Swedish school building as temporary classrooms. A brick schoolhouse, erected at this site in 1902, was razed in 1922 and replaced later that year with larger school facilities. By 1952 ten rural schools had been annexed by the district. El Campo High School moved from the 1922 structure to a new facility opened during the fall of 1953. In 1961 the Crescent Independent School District merged with the district to form El Campo Consolidated Independent School District. Integration of schools in El Campo was achieved by 1968.
Since the late 1950s the district has continued to construct new facilities and remodel a number of older facilities. By 1994 El Campo Independent School Districts high school, middle school, and three elementary schools served
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1411.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 29° 12.073′ N, 96° 16.522′ W. Marker is in El Campo, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is on Fahrenthold Street, 0.1 miles north of West Church Street, on the right when traveling south. The marker is located on the wall of the City Development Corporation building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 707 Fehrenthold Street, El Campo TX 77437, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Philip the Apostle Catholic Parish (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Christian Church of El Campo (approx. ¼ mile away); El Campo First Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); First National Bank of El Campo (approx. half a mile away); El Campo (approx. half a mile away); El Campo Library Building (approx. half a mile away); Prairie Switch (approx. half a mile away); Site of Pierce Hotel (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Campo.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 24, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.