Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Mansfield in Henry County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Manley's Chapel United Methodist Church

 
 
Manley's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, February 27, 2022
1. Manley's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  When the Jackson Purchase was opened to settlement in 1818, one of Asbury's circuit riders, John Manley, located and took up land near here. He organized Manley's Chapel, probably the first church in the Purchase area, in 1821. Tennessee Conference missionary Benjamin Peeples was the first pastor. The first two sanctuaries were log. The third, built in 1857, was log/weatherboard, Almost inaccessible by auto, Manley's Chapel nearly died in the early 1930's. It was dismantled and moved to the present location. In 1958, Bishop W.T. Watkins dedicated a new brick structure which was built by church families.
 
Erected by The United Methodist Church.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1821.
 
Location. 36° 12.745′ N, 88° 14.435′ W. Marker is near Mansfield, Tennessee, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of Reynoldsburg Road and Vale Road, on the right when traveling south on Reynoldsburg Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5070 Reynoldsburg Rd, Paris TN 38242, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Skirmish at Mansfield (approx. 3˝ miles away); Governor Thomas Clarke Rye (approx. 7 miles away); Mandle/Harding House (approx. 7.4 miles away); E.W. Grove-Henry County High School (approx. 7.4 miles away); E. W. Grove High School (approx. 7˝ miles away); Gov. James D. Porter Home (approx. 7˝ miles away); Camp Tyson (approx. 7.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.8 miles away).
 
Manley's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, February 27, 2022
2. Manley's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 27, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=192703

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024