Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Lightship Overfalls (LV-118 or WAL-539) was built in 1938 at the Rice Brothers Shipyard in East Boothbay, Maine. It was one of the last lightships constructed. Duty stations included Boston Harbor and two locations near Long Island, New York. After retirement from active service it was given to the Lewes Historical Society in 1973. The ship was renamed to recognize the lightship station on Overfalls Shoals
Erected 2003 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-175.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1813.
Location. 38° 46.669′ N, 75° 8.492′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Shipcarpenter Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is on a median island in the service road south of the lifesaving station and north of the Shipscarpenter Street, Pilottown Road, Front Street (DE-267) intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 Shipcarpenter Street, Lewes DE 19958, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Overfalls Lightship (within shouting distance of this marker); Life Saving Station (within shouting distance of this marker); The Blizzard of 1888 (within shouting distance of this marker); Menhaden Fishing Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); Hiram Rodney Burton House Frederick E. Hudson (about 500 feet away); Harbeson Railroad Station Privy (about 600 feet away); Milk House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
Regarding Lightship Overfalls. The Lightship Overfalls is owned by the Overfalls Maritime Museum Foundation. Presently, it is undergoing repairs in Virginia, but it is due to return to Lewes after the repairs are finished.
Also see . . .
1. Lightship Overfalls. (Submitted on May 24, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Maritime Museum Foundation. (Submitted on May 24, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. Lewes Historical Society. (Submitted on May 24, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
4. Lightship Overfalls. From Friends of the Lighthouse. (Submitted on May 25, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Additional keywords. U.S. Coast Guard
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,246 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on October 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7. submitted on May 25, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 8. submitted on November 8, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.