Saint Martinville in St. Martin Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Ange Marie Jan
Natus Pontivy Gallia
— 1802 —
Sacerdos ordinatus a de Quelen Parisüs 1826.
Rector St. Martini Ecclesiœ Atakapas 1851-1887.
Canonicus et vicarius forensis Totum se devoit suis parochianis.
Numquam laborem recusavit Tandem die Assumptionis requievit 1887.
Sui parochiani amanter hoc monumentum erexerunt 1888.
Born in Pontivy, Gallia [France]
Ordained priest by Quelen [Archbishop of] Paris in 1826.
Rector, St. Martin's Church in Attakapas [St. Martinville] 1851-1887.
The canon and vicar of the court has devoted himself entirely to his parishioners.
He never refused work. He finally rested on Assumption Day, 1887.
His parishioners lovingly erected this monument in 1888.
Erected 1888 by Saint Martin de Tours Catholic Church parishioners.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1802.
Location. 30° 7.389′ N, 91° 49.739′ W. Marker is in Saint MartinvilleTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 133 South Main Street, Saint Martinville LA 70582, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Martin Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); St. Martinville (a few steps from this marker); Attakapa Indian (within shouting distance of this marker); On This Site Lie Buried Officers of The Attakapas Militia (within shouting distance of this marker); Evangeline Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Evangeline Oak (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Castillo Hotel (about 600 feet away); Deportation Cross (about 600 feet away).
Also see . . . Saint Martin de Tours Church History.
In front of the church stands a statue of Fr. Ange Marie Jan, an early pastor who served from 1851-1887. In 1874, he added the transepts to the church where the Grotto of Lourdes and the Sacred Heart Altar are located and extended the sanctuary to its present size, giving the church its current cruciform shape.(Submitted on March 6, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 6, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 6, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.