Ossining in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ellis Place and the Little Shop Tea Room / Ellis Place y El Salón de Té la Tendita
Ossining, New York
— The Museum in the Streets© —
Ellis Place and the Little Shop Tea Room
Ellis Place originated as the Ellis Estate, which in 1851 was sold to local investors who divided the 13-acre property into 66 lots. Ellis Place, lined with gracious Victorian homes, is arguably the Village's first planned residential boulevard, offering proximity to Pleasant Square and downtown.
The property at the northeast corner of Ellis Place and South Highland Avenue once held the large Stick Victorian style house built around 1850 by David McCord, Jr., descendant of one of the tenants on the Philipse Estate in 1750. In the early 1900s, Sarah Beatty, proprietor of the "Little Shop Tea Room" moved her business from Spring Street to this location, where she both lived and worked. The house was razed in the 1930s.
Ellis Place y El Salón de Té La Tiendita
Ellis Place se creó como Ellis Estate, que en 1851 se vendidó a inversionistas locales que dividieron la propiedad de 13 acres en 66 lotes. Se podría decir que Ellis Place, bordeado por sus elegantes casas victorianas y ofreciendo proximidad a Pleasant Square y el centro urbano, fue el primer
La gran casa de arquitectura estilo Stick de la époqua victoriana tardía, construida cerca de 1850 por David McCord, Jr, descendiente de uno de los inquilinos de la hacienda Philipse en 1750, una ez estuvo en la esquina noreste de Ellis Place y South Highland Avenue. A comienzos de 1900, Sarah Betty, propietaria del salón de té "Little Shop" trasladó su negocio de Spring Street a esta localidad, donde vivió y trabajó. La casa se arrasó en los 1930s.
Erected by The Museum in the Streets©. (Marker Number 11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Women. In addition, it is included in the The Museum in the Streets®: Ossining, New York series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 41° 9.69′ N, 73° 51.672′ W. Marker is in Ossining, New York, in Westchester County. Marker is at the intersection of Ellis Place and South Highland Avenue (U.S. 9), on the left when traveling east on Ellis Place. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Ellis Pl, Ossining NY 10562, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Baptist Church / La Primera Iglesia Bautista (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ossining Bank for Savings / El banco Sing Sing de SegurosTrinity Episcopal Church / Iglesia Episcopal Trinity (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cynthard Building / El Edificio Cynthard (within shouting distance of this marker); The Crescent / La Media Luna (within shouting distance of this marker); George Rohr's Saloon and Boarding House / Taberna y Pensión de George Rohr (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Croton Aqueduct (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ossining.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 8, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.