Williams in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Welcome to Williams
Gateway to the Grand Canyon
Welcome to Williams, Arizona, located in the heart of the Kaibab National Forest at an elevation of 6,770 feet.
Founded in 1881, Williams was named for the famous trapper, scout and mountain man, "Old Bill Williams." A statue of "Old Bill" stands in Monument Park, located on the west side of the city. The large mountain directly south of town is named Bill Williams Mountain and the Town was incorporated July 9, 1901.
Also known as the "Gateway to the Grand Canyon," Williams was the last town on Historic Route 66 to be bypassed on Interstate 40 on Oct. 13, 1984. The community continues to thrive on tourism.
Boasting seven area fishing lakes, hiking trails up Bill Williams Mountain and into Sycamore Canyon, an alpine ski area and cross country ski trails, four seasons weather and an abundance of wildlife, Williams offers unlimited recreational opportunities for the outdoor enthusiast.
·Built of clay and plaster, the 8 1/2 foot statue took hundreds of hours to complete.
·The Historic Downtown District covers six square blocks. There is something for
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the U.S. Route 66 series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 9, 1901.
Location. 35° 15.065′ N, 112° 11.347′ W. Marker is in Williams, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker can be reached from West Railroad Avenue west of North Grand Canyon Boulevard. Marker is behind the Williams Visitors Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 W Railroad Ave, Williams AZ 86046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Fe Railway Freight Depot (a few steps from this marker); Red Cross Garage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cabinet Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Tetzlaff Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Citizens Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lebsch Confectionery (about 300 feet away); Dime Store (about 300 feet away); Crowe-McCoy Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williams.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 9, 2022, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 144 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 9, 2022, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.