Butler in DeKalb County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Butler's Thompson Block Building
The first floor was rented for various commercial uses and became the post office in 1930. The second and third floors included a stage and balcony. Plays, skits, concerts, lectures, high school graduations, and basketball games were held in the theater area during this time.
Walter died in May 1904, shortly after the Opera House opened. His son, Jay, then became acting manager until he moved from Butler before 1910.
In 1912, William Mutzfeld and Sons constructed the adjacent Mutzfeld Building to the south of the Thompson Block, where they opened a harness and hardware shop. The Mutzfeld's redesigned the interior to include doors between the two structures, which allowed the two buildings to function as one. The newly remodeled structure was then referred to as the Thompson Block Building.
John Nugen Furniture and Interiors purchased the Thompson Block
In 2000, the Eastside Area Community Foundation accepted ownership of the Thompson Building. On October 31, 2001, the structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places along with all of downtown Butler. The Eastside Community Foundation and the City of Butler raised funds for the renovation of the building. In 2012, the City of Butler located their municipal offices to the structure where they remain today.
1881 Walt and Eclecta Thompson married
May 16, 1882 Jay Thompson born
1903 Thompson Block completed and opera house holds grand opening on November 26th
May 25, 1904 Walter Thompson died, Thompson was also a hardware merchant
1912 William Mutzfeld built Mutzfeld Building
1925 Jay Thompson died
1929 Eclecta Thompson died
1930 Mutzfeld and Sons buy Thompson Block Building
1970 Building sold to John Nugen Furniture and Interiors
1980 Furniture store closes
2000 Eastside Area Community Foundation takes ownership
October 31, 2001 National Registry of Historic Places
April 2002 Money given for outside renovation
February 2003 Front window completed
2012 City Offices moved to Thompson Block Building
Topics. This historical marker Entertainment • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is February 2003.
Location. 41° 25.707′ N, 84° 52.277′ W. Marker is in Butler, Indiana, in DeKalb County. Marker is on South Broadway Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Butler IN 46721, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. American Legion Post No. 202 Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site Of First Settler In DeKalb County (approx. 6.1 miles away); Edgerton Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.3 miles away in Ohio); Saint Mary School (approx. 6.4 miles away in Ohio); Edgerton Town Hall & Park Opera House (approx. 6˝ miles away in Ohio); Edgerton Civil War Monument (approx. 6˝ miles away in Ohio); Edgerton Fire Bell (approx. 6.6 miles away in Ohio); Arthur Russell Perry (approx. 7.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.