Woodburn in Allen County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First town incorporated in Maumee Township. Once called "Phelps Station" on the Wabash Railroad. A strategic point in a vast woodland of timber unsurpassed in the United States for variety and condition.
Incorporated as a 5th class city in 1935 and known as Shirley City - named for James Shirley - one of first settlers. Name was changed officially to Woodburn in 1956.
Erected by Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political Subdivisions • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1935.
Location. 41° 7.507′ N, 84° 51.272′ W. Marker is in Woodburn, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Indiana Route 101) and Bull Rapids Road, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22315 Main St, Woodburn IN 46797, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. This clock tower (here, next to this marker); Old Maysville Cemetery Harlan, Indiana (approx. 6 miles away); Harlan Park Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away); Antwerp (approx. 6˝ miles away in Ohio); Antwerp and Carryall Township (approx. 7 miles away in Ohio); V.F.W. Post 5087 Veterans Memorial Flagpost (approx. 7 miles away in Ohio); Antwerp Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.3 miles away in Ohio).
Credits. This page was last revised on March 25, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 13, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.