La Porte City in Black Hawk County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
La Porte City's long history of protecting its citizens started with the formation of a bucket brigade in 1871. A bell summoned citizens to bring their buckets to fight fires. In those early years, the town’s volunteer fire department was praised as "one of the best-organized and most trustworthy in the state" — a tradition that continues today. The first firehouse was located on Chestnut Street until 1967, when the department moved to a new building on Main Street. These bricks are placed in honor of those La Porte City citizens who have chosen to serve our community as firefighters, police officers, EMTs and paramedics.
Erected by La Porte City Historic Preservation Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 42° 18.823′ N, 92° 11.506′ W. Marker is in La Porte City, Iowa, in Black Hawk County. Marker is at the intersection of Chestnut Street and 1st Street, on the left when traveling northTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 413 Chestnut Street, La Porte City IA 50651, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Jesse Wasson Society (here, next to this marker); Rural Iowa Heritage Center (a few steps from this marker); The Pioneer Spirit (a few steps from this marker); City Hall (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sweet Corn Day Festival (approx. 13.2 miles away).
Regarding Chestnut Firestation. National Register of Historic Places #77000496, as La Porte City Town Hall and Fire Station.
Also see . . .
1. LaPorte City Town Hall and Fire Station.
The two-story, brick structure has a gable roof hidden behind a metal false front. A two-story brick addition was built onto the north side of the building in 1911 for a town jail. The fire station was housed on the main floor of the original building where the two round-arch doorways are located. The doorways were altered in 1950 to accommodate larger fire vehicles. The fire department operated from here until 1968, and the large doorways were restored to their original arched form in the 1970s. The second floor of the original building was utilized as the town hall until the(Submitted on March 17, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. La Porte City Town Hall and Fire Station. (Submitted on March 17, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 17, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.