Near Caliente in Lincoln County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Delamar, "The Widow Maker"
1893 – 1909
John and Olivia Ferguson discovered gold twelve miles south of here around 1891. The original name of the camp they established was Ferguson. However, it was eventually renamed "Delamar" after John DeLamar, an entrepreneur who bought the best mining claims in 1893 for $150,000. Eventually, over 1,500 residents settled in this isolated place. The town contained a newspaper, hospital, school, churches, saloons, stores, a theater and professionals. Entertainment included brass bands, dance orchestras, and stage attractions at the opera house.
Water came from Meadows Valley Wash 12 miles away. All other materials were hauled through the mountains by mule team 150 miles from a railroad head at Milford, Utah. For 16 years, most of the bullion was hauled out in the same manner.
The dry milling processes used prior to the introduction of wet methods created a fine silicon, or “death” dust, which caused the deaths of many residents and gave the town its nickname.
Delamar produced $15,000,000 in gold and was Nevada’s leading producer at the turn of the twentieth century.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 37° 37.175′ N, 114° 47.702′ W. Marker is near Caliente, Nevada, in Lincoln County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 93 at milepost 8.5 and the dirt road to Delamar, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 93. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Caliente NV 89008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 504 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on March 19, 2022, by Melissa H Spease of Las Vegas, Nevada. Photos: 1. submitted on March 18, 2022, by Melissa H Spease of Las Vegas, Nevada. 2, 3. submitted on October 17, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.