Jackson in Madison County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
110 N. Liberty
– Circa 1840 –
merchandise store, was one of many
raided during the 1860's,
it never closed – sold in 1880's.
1880-1900's the Felsenthals operated
as “wholesalers-retailers of fine wine,
liquor and cigars” in this location.
1923-1940's Guy Townsend's
Hardware store. 1950's - 2000 various
businesses. Liberty Grill was here
until the wall fell in 2003,
soon it will be back
better than ever.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 35° 36.88′ N, 88° 49.085′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Tennessee, in Madison County. Marker is on North Liberty Street north of East Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 N Liberty St, Jackson TN 38301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City Place (within shouting distance of this marker); 117 N. Liberty (within shouting distance of this marker); 209 E. Main (within shouting distance 213 E. Main (within shouting distance of this marker); 215 E. Main (within shouting distance of this marker); Holland's Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 212 E. Main (within shouting distance of this marker); World War I Memorial Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Regarding 110 N. Liberty. Excerpt from Encyclopedia of Southern Jewish Communities - Jackson, Tennessee:
Edward Felsenthal, a German Jewish immigrant, first settled in Brownsville, Tennessee, in 1860. In 1883, he moved to Jackson and opened a grocery business. His daughter Celia married Jacob Felsenthal of Chicago, and both moved to Jackson in 1895 to take over the family business after Edward had died suddenly. Jacob Felsenthal built the wholesale grocery business into a thriving operation. He was a leader of the local Jewish community, serving as president of B’nai Israel. He also became active in civic affairs, serving as both an alderman and a member of the school board. Cecilia was involved with many different women’s organizations and charities. Though they moved to Memphis in 1918, Cecilia and Jacob later gave the deed to their 12-acre vacation estate to the Jackson YMCA so it could be used for camping and picnics by social and religious groups.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 21, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.