Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Madison County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Illinois Central Railroad Division Office

 
 
Illinois Central Railroad Division Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 20, 2022
1. Illinois Central Railroad Division Office Marker
Inscription.  This building was constructed by the Illinois Central Railroad circa 1920. It was used as their division headquarters, and as a communications center for the adjacent yards. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureRailroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
 
Location. 35° 36.726′ N, 88° 49.366′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Tennessee, in Madison County. Marker is on Sycamore Street, 0.1 miles east of Riverside Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 245 Sycamore St, Jackson TN 38301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Riverside Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Andersons & Claytons Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Monroe Dunaway Anderson 1873-1939 / Anderson, Clayton & Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); F.E. Anderson & Co. Cotton Yard (approx. 0.2 miles away); 61st US Colored Infantry Regiment (approx. ¼ mile away); Madison County Memorial Flame (approx. ¼ mile
Illinois Central Railroad Division Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 20, 2022
2. Illinois Central Railroad Division Office Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Madison County Confederate Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); David Crockett (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Regarding Illinois Central Railroad Division Office. Excerpt from the National Register nomination:
… It was built ca. 1920 as offices and a communications facility for the Illinois Central Railroad (ICRR). The building is a two-story brick structure and is sited adjacent to the Illinois Central (now Norfolk Southern) railroad tracks. Directly to the south of the building across W. Sycamore Street was the site of the Illinois Central roundhouse, machine shops, and freight depot. With the exception of the ICRR Division Office all of these buildings have been razed. The ICRR Division Office and the Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Passenger Depot are the only remaining buildings directly associated with railroad operations in the city.

 
Also see . . .  Illinois Central Railroad Division Office. Nomination (PDF) and photographs (PDF) submitted for the building's inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places. (National Park Service) (Submitted on March 22, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 22, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=194033

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Mar. 27, 2023