Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The Frankfort Kentucky Reel
In 1853, Ben Meek and B.C. Milam began stamping the reels "Meek & Milam. Meek left the business in 1898, and B.C. Milam continued working with his son, John. From 1896-1903, B.C. Milam and Son reels were known as "The Frankfort Kentucky Reel." These highly valued reels, used by dignitaries and serious anglers around the world, were all made here at 222 W. Main St.
Erected 2016 by Kentucky Historical Society - Kentucky Department Of Highways. (Marker Number 2513.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 38° 11.899′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 222 W Main St, Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lewis and Clark in Kentucky / Frankfort Newspapers (within shouting distance of this marker); Hiram Lodge No. 4 F. & A.M. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Capt. Daniel Weisiger III / Weisiger House (about 300 feet away); Surveyed July 16, 1773 By Hancock Taylor (about 300 feet away); Franklin County Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away); First Christian Church (about 300 feet away); Lewis and Clark in Kentucky / William Clark in Frankfort (about 400 feet away); The Famous Old Weisiger House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.