Upper Sandusky in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
By resolution of the Harrison Smith Park Commission passed June 1, 1931 this tree to be known as Tschanen Elm was dedicated to the memory of Charles Frederick Tschanen in recognition of his services as designer of Harrison Smith Park and as first president of the Harrison Smith Park Commission.
This monument is on the site where the mighty Tschanen Elm once stood blighted by the elm disease and removed January 1963 the tree had stood for 121 years.
July 19, 1974 this marker dedicated to Charles F. Tschanen founder of this park Henry Harrison Smith first land donor and Charles F. Artz promoter and president of the park commission for 23 years.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical date for this entry is July 19, 1974.
Location. 40° 49.6′ N, 83° 16.592′ W. Marker is in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker is on East Wyandot Avenue east of North 3rd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wyandot Indian Council House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Ferree - Overland Inn - Indian Spring (about 500 feet away); Wyandot County Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away); Wyandot County War of 1812 Veterans Memorial Flagpole (about 500 feet away); Col. William Crawford (about 600 feet away); Co. B 2nd O.V.I. Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away); The William Walker Jr. House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robbins Post No. 91 G.A.R. Grove (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Sandusky.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.