New Albany in Floyd County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Founding of New Albany
As early as 1808, the area we know as New Albany was considered a good location for a settlement near the Ohio River and The Falls of The Ohio. The original 826 ½ acre tract of land — part of Clark’s grant — was between the Grant line and the foot of “the knobs.”
The Scribner brothers — Joel, Abner, and Nathaniel, purchased the land in 1813 to lay out a town they called New Albany. The Scribner brothers posted advertisements to entice settlers to the area. “This town is just laid out with spacious streets, public squares, markets, etc. It is situated on the banks of the Ohio River… about two miles below the falls, in the Indiana Territory, and affords a beautiful and commodious harbor.”
Scribner House and Gardens
The Scribner House was built on this site by Joel and Mary Scribner in 1814. This simple wood-frame and brick Federal structure is the oldest building in New Albany. The 2 ½ story house with its two level rear porch offered a spectacular view of the Ohio River for many years. It was home to three generations of Scribner’s until sold in 1917 by Harriet Scribner to the Piankeshaw Chapter of the Daughters of
The Scribner family valued education from the beginning of the young settlement. They advertised that one-fourth of the sale of lots would be deposited into an education fund to be used for the schools in New Albany forever. This fund helped built the first public high school in Indiana and continues to provide scholarships to New Albany High School students to this day. The first school was taught by Mrs. Scribner and her daughter, who gathered the children for lessons in the Scribner house until a school was built. A large log building was erected for a school house and other meeting on the public square.
Religion was important to the Scribner Family and they served as leaders in organizing the First Presbyterian Church, the first church to be established in New Albany. Initial meetings of the church were held in the Scribner home on this site until the log school and meeting house could be built. The Scribner family also provided a number of lots for the future building and support of church. Their faith in God was evident by their involvement in church, but
Leadership for a Young Settlement
The plan for the city was platted by surveyor John Graham, who created a regular grid pattern design oriented toward the river. High Street, later renamed Main, was the major business and residential artery, paralleled by Market, Spring, Elm and Oak Streets. All five streets were bisected by State Street. The Scribner’s provided four squares for public buildings as State and Spring Streets. They also laid out a square as a public park. Nathaniel petitioned the new state legislature in Corydon to create a new county, (Floyd) from Clark and Harrison Counties and name New Albany the county seat. Joel served as the first postmaster and clerk in county court. Abner focused on industry by building a steam lumber and grist mill. By 1850, New Albany grew to be the largest city in Indiana, the center for commerce and industry the brothers had envisioned. Scribner descendants continued to be leaders in public affairs, business, medicine, education, music and the military.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1813.
Location. 38° 16.998′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 East Main Street, New Albany IN 47150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scribner House (a few steps from this marker); Old New Albany (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mob Violence, 1862 (about 600 feet away); The Israel House (about 600 feet away); Market House (about 600 feet away); New Albany Downtown Historic District (about 600 feet away); State Bank of Indiana (about 700 feet away); New Albany's First Bank Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Albany.
More about this marker. Marker is a waist-high metal sculpture representing four open books, with five pages of inscriptions summarizing early New Albany history.
Also see . . .
1. New Albany, Indiana.
New Albany was founded in July 1813 when three brothers from New York — Joel, Abner, and Nathaniel Scribner — arrived at the Falls of the Ohio and named the site after the city of Albany, New York. They purchased the land from Col. John Paul. New Albany was platted by John Graham on the land owned by the Scribner brothers. In 1814 Joel and Mary Scribner built their home in New Albany; the Scribner House still stands today.(Submitted on March 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Scribner House.
In 1813, brothers Joel, Nathaniel, and Abner Scribner arrived at the Falls of the Ohio with plans to become the founders of a new town. Their original street plans called for streets eighty-feet wide, which in later years allowed the streets to be used for cars. When the brothers designed the new town, they left spaces for churches, parks, and schools, which they used as selling points in their advertisements in eastern newspapers. The 1814 Scribner House was the first frame house built in the city. The house was also used as the first Chamber of Commerce for New Albany.(Submitted on March 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.