Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Crossing the Savannah
Balanced Cantilever Construction
A system of balanced cantilever construction permitted concrete for the new Talmadge Bridge to cast in place using form travelers. That method required critical wind analysis and temporary cable restraints capable of compensating for hurricane force winds during construction. Bridge stress tests and construction geometry were controlled to an accuracy of one inch by a water ballast system in the 200-ton travelers.
Old and New Talmadge Bridges
The first Talmadge Bridge was opened in 1954 and was a 600-foot cantilever steel structure, providing 136-foot of vertical clearance at high tide for ship traffic. In 1991, the Georgia Department of Transportation completed construction on the current $25.7 million structure. The impressive cable-stayed design suspends the roadway from two 418-foot tall H-shaped concrete pylons. The current bridge has a 185-foot vertical clearance at high tide and 1,023-foot of horizontal clearance.
Georgia-Carolina Ferry Boat
In the early 1900's ferry boats, such as the above "Georgia-Carolina", carried passengers and automobiles between Savannah and the Union Causeway Turnpike across the river in South Carolina. Smaller steamboat ferries also made regular trips between Savannah's river front and Hutchinson Island. These boats transported workers to jobs at the Seaboard Air Lines terminals, where goods such as lumber, naval stores, and cotton were readied for export.
The Houlihan Bridge is located approximately six miles upriver from downtown Savannah on State Route 25.The bridge, constructed in 1922 and rehabilitated in 1954, was the first structure to provide direct overland travel between Savannah and South Carolina. With the construction of the bridge, the local economy became less
Erected 2009 by U.S. Dept. Of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, Georgia Dept. of Transportation. (Marker Number 11.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1762.
Location. 32° 4.805′ N, 81° 5.04′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on East River Street, on the right when traveling south. West of E. Broad St. Ramp, along the Riverside. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1996 Olympic Yachting Cauldron (a few steps from this marker); Ironclads and Gunboats of the Savannah River Squadron (within shouting distance of this marker); Native Americans on the Georgia Coast (within shouting distance of this marker); The Liberty (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lions Club of Savannah (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Harbor Light (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Georgia Medical Society (about 300 feet away); Savannah's Early Economy (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,887 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on May 30, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on May 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8. submitted on May 30, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 9, 10. submitted on May 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.