Near Vermillion in Clay County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Lewis and Clark Visit Spirit Mound
August 25, 1804
"From the top of this Mound we beheld a most beautiful landscape; Numerous herds of buffaloes were seen feeding in various directions." Wm. Clark
"25th Augt George Shannon Killed an Elk Buck" Wm. Clark
Paintings by Ron Backer
Erected by The South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks and the South Dakota Parks and Wildlife Foundation played key roles in restoring the site. The South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks manages the Spirit Mount Historic Prairie.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1804.
Location. 42° 52.051′ N, 96° 57.362′ W. Marker is near Vermillion, South Dakota, in Clay County. Marker is on State Highway 19, 0.1 miles north of 312th Street, on the left when traveling north. The sign is one of several at a small asphalt pull-off loop road with a sign stating "Welcome to Spirit Mound Historic Prairie". Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vermillion SD 57069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis and Clark Were Here...and Here... (here, next to this marker); Spirit Mound (a few steps from this marker); From Lewis and Clark to the Future (a few steps from this marker); Vermillion / Historic Highway (approx. 5.7 miles away); Meckling & Lincoln (approx. 6 miles away); Meckling (approx. 6 miles away); Old Vermillion (approx. 6.1 miles away); The First Baptist Church, Vermillion, South Dakota (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vermillion.
More about this marker. This is one side of a 3-sided informational sign at the park.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,023 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on March 30, 2022, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 14, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.