Knox in Starke County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Koffel Building was constructed in 1891 by H.R. Koffel to house Koffel's Drug Store (also known as Modern Drugs) and Farmers State Bank. It was located in the Courthouse Historic District on Main Street in downtown Knox, IN. The two ground floor units were divided by a brick partition wall down the middle of the building allowing the two upper floor units to share a common staircase. This "Two-Part Commercial Block" was the most common type of construction for small and medium sized commercial buildings during this time. In 1892, the brick streets were laid and wooden sidewalks replaced with concrete. City water became available in 1908. The building was razed in 2013. There were six other "Two-Part" commercial block buildings constructed in downtown Knox.
Erected 2015 by City of Knox; and Starke County Economic Development Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 41° 17.856′ N, 86° 37.389′ W. Marker is in Knox, IndianaTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 North Main Street, Knox IN 46534, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Starke County Honor Rolls (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); PFC Frank H. Ono (about 400 feet away); Lincoln's Gettysburg Address (about 400 feet away); La Salle in Indiana (approx. 7.9 miles away); Frank H. Ono Memorial (approx. 9.8 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.7 miles away); Indiana's Fire Towers (approx. 12.7 miles away); Walkerton World War II Memorial (approx. 13.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Knox.
Also see . . .
1. Historical Marker Commemorates Knox Drugstore Site.
The building was a drug store under various owners for many years before being turned into the Knox Eagles Lodge. During that time, a fire damaged the structure, and it was never fully restored. After that the building was briefly opened as a movie theater. The City of Knox now owns the lot where the building once stood. A group of Knox High School students is developing the land on which the building sat into a pocket park with benches and a gazebo.(Submitted on April 4, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Koffel's Drug Store. (Starke County Historical Photos) (Submitted on April 4, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 51 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 4, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.