Nebraska City in Otoe County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Nebraska's Oldest Episcopal Church
1857 ~ First service of The Episcopal Church held in Nebraska City. Organized officially as "St. Mary's Parish" and building erected on Kearney Hill.
1858 ~ Incorporated within the "Nebraska Territory".
1860 ~ Became the first "Cathedral Church" west of the Missouri under The Rt. Rev. Joseph Cruickshank Talbot.
1866 ~ The building moved from Kearney Hill to its present location.
1867 ~ This Church served as Chapel to Talbot Hall (Now Brownell-Talbot, Omaha) founded here by The Rt. Rev. Robert H. Clarkson.
1892 ~ Original Church enlarged to include present transepts.
1918 ~ First major reconstruction and additions extending the building to its present westerly limits.
1960 ~ Last major addition of the present Chapel-Rectory and stone facing the entire complex.
St. Mary's is grateful to its many members and friends, present and past, whose generosity and devotion to Christ and His Church have made a most fruitful contribution to the advancement of His Kingdom in this Community and Diocese.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 South 9th Street, Nebraska City NE 68410, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Army of the Republic Memorial Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Methodist Church Original 1855 Wall (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mother Church of Methodism in Nebraska (about 800 feet away); Pioneer Masons of Nebraska Territory (about 800 feet away); Mother Church of Nebraska Methodism (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nebraska City Volunteer Fire Dept. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nebraska City Museum of Firefighting (approx. 0.3 miles away); This ELI Windmill (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nebraska City.
Also see . . . Nebraska's First Episcopal Cathedral.
In the autumn of 1857 an Episcopalian missionary, the Rev. Mr. Eli Adams, came to Nebraska City and organized a parish under the name of St. Mary's Parish. Having accepted a call from the vestry to be the rector, the Rev. Mr. Adams went East to spend the winter. He returned in the Spring of 1858 and found that the(Submitted on April 6, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 6, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.