Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Built in 1806 by Jett Thomas to the specifications of college president Josiah Meigs, Old College was the first permanent building on the University of Georgia campus. Originally named Franklin College in honor of Benjamin Franklin, the building served as housing, dining, and classroom facilities for the fledgling University. As the campus grew the building came to be known as Old College. Condemned as structurally unsound by 1906, the building was largely rebuilt and rededicated in 1908 at the behest of preservation-minded alumni. During World War II, Old College was utilized as barracks by the U.S. Navy. In recognition of the building's significance, a full rehabilitation was completed in 2006 in observation of its bicentennial.
By David Seibert, February 10, 2008
1. Old College Marker
Erected 2006 by Georgia Historical Society and the University of Georgia. (Marker Number 29-4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1806.
Location. 33° 57.35′
By David Seibert, May 30, 2009
2. Old College Marker
Marker can barely be seen (under the left row of windows) at the east end of Old College.
Click or scan to see
N, 83° 22.45′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker can be reached from East Broad Street (U.S. 78) 0 miles west of South Jackson Street. Marker is on the North Campus of the University of Georgia, at the east end of Old College in a small park. Old College is approximately 300 yards south of East Broad Street, at the south end of the Quad. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
this page online
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Abraham Baldwin (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Classes (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Toombs Oak (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Herty Field (about 500 feet away); Holmes/Hunter Academic Building (about 600 feet away); Old Athens Cemetery (about 600 feet away); The Red and Black (about 700 feet away); First Garden Club (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Regarding Old College. Old College was completed in 1806 after the University had been chartered in 1785. The building is a copy of Connecticut Hall at Yale University, alma mater of Abraham Baldwin, first president of the University of Georgia, and Josiah Meigs, the second. The University of Georgia was the nation's first state university.
Also see . . . The Old College Compendium. The UGA's
Hargrett Library's history of the Old College: For over two hundred years Old College has been the center of campus - providing dormitory and boarding house space, classrooms, administrative offices, dining facilities, fortification and even a safe harbor for the U.S. Navy. (Submitted on November 1, 2015.)
By David Seibert, May 30, 2009
3. Old College
The first permanent building on the University of Georgia campus, completed in 1806.
Postcard by the McGregor Company, circa 1910
4. Old Dormitory, the Oldest building in the City, Athen, Ga.
Old College more than a century ago, sometimes called Old Dormitory.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,058 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on November 1, 2015. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.