Flemington in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fulper Pottery Factory #1
The Hill Pottery Company, founded by Samuel Hill, began manufacturing earthenware products at this site in 1814. By 1860, the company had been purchased by Abram Fulper and became known as Fulper Pottery. On September 19, 1929, a fire of electrical origin destroyed Fulper Pottery Company's Factory #1. Pottery manufacturing was not resumed at this location, but was continued at Factory #2 on Mine St. in Flemington and Factory #3 in Trenton.
Erected by Historic Flemington.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1750.
Location. 40° 30.48′ N, 74° 51.63′ W. Marker is in Flemington, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is on Mine Street near Park Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Flemington NJ 08822, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fulper Family Residences (within shouting distance of this marker); Fulper House (within shouting distance of this marker); Stangl Pottery Outlet & Showroom (about 600 feet away, Fleming Castle (about 600 feet away); Flemington Public Library (about 700 feet away); South Branch Of Central R.R. (about 700 feet away); Log Cabin & Ground Hog Kiln (about 800 feet away); Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flemington.
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of Stangl Pottery. Stangl Factory website entry (Submitted on March 8, 2019, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey.)
2. Stangl Factory: A Hidden Treasure in Flemington, NJ. Patch website entry (Submitted on March 8, 2019, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,156 times since then and 60 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 1, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. View of the marker in context • Can you help?