Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alcoa in Blount County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Charles M. Hall School

 
 
Charles M. Hall School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 10, 2022
1. Charles M. Hall School Marker
Inscription.  Alcoa schools for black citizens played a vital role in the growth and development of Alcoa. From 1916 to 1926, classes were held in one-room buildings and on the top floor of the Commercial Building. The first building on this site was completed for African American youth and officially named Charles M. Hall School in 1926, which consisted of eight grades. A high school was added later, and the first seniors graduated in 1939. Honors and awards were earned by the school's many outstanding scholars, musicians, and athletes, and the campus was known as one of the most beautiful in the area. With the complete integration of the City of Alcoa schools in 1970, the history of Charles M. Hall as an all-black school came to an end, but its rich heritage and tradition of service to the community continues.

The principals of Charles M. Hall School:
John T. Arter • Thomas P. Marsh • Samuel Gosby • J. K. Hilyard • Reginald Clarke • Alfred Gore • Emmitt West • John Wade • Joseph A. Matthews • James D. White

Captions
Top row, left to right:
• Students grades two and above were taught in this building
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in 1918.
• Students and teachers stand alongside the Community Hall in 1919.
• The school faculty in 1919. L-R, front, Clara Turner, John T. Arter, Celia Griffin; second row, Ralph M. Arter, Mable Cloud, E. Z. Jackson, and Dollie Warren.
Middle row:
• Charles M. Hall School at the time of its construction in 1926. Inset: The Charles M. Hall annex and gymnasium were dedicated in 1951.
• The new Charles M. Hall lunchroom in 1952.
Bottom row:
• Wade Houston, an outstanding basketball player at Hall High School, became one of the first African American players at the University of Louisville, and the first black head basketball coach in the Southeastern Conference.
• The Hall High School chorus finished fourth in the nation at the 1952 Chicagoland Music Festival at Soldier Field in Chicago.
• The Hall High School shop industrial arts classroom in 1951.
 
Erected by City of Alcoa • Arconic Foundation.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee, City of Alcoa series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1916.
 
Location. 35° 46.793′ N, 83° 58.826′ W. Marker is in Alcoa, Tennessee, in Blount County. Marker is on East
Charles M. Hall School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 10, 2022
2. Charles M. Hall School Marker
Howe Street, 0.1 miles north of North Hall Road (Tennessee Route 35), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 E Howe St, Alcoa TN 37701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hall Community (here, next to this marker); The Commercial Building (here, next to this marker); Incorporation of the City of Alcoa (approx. half a mile away); Alcoa's First Fire Hall (approx. Ύ mile away); The Duck Pond and Lily Pond (approx. 0.8 miles away); Millennium Manor (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bassel School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Springbrook Pool (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alcoa.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 284 times since then and 152 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=195398

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 4, 2023