Alcoa in Blount County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Initial Plant & Town Site Construction / The Mule Barn
The Mule Barn In 1914, the Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA) built a barn to house teams of mules used in excavation for construction of the first plat. In 1918, the structure was converted into a school for the children of the Bassel community. The building, affectionately known as The Mule Barn, then served as the City of Alcoa municipal building from 1923 until 1961.
(Top) The reduction plant under construction in 1913.
(Bottom, clockwise from left)
Guy Mannering G. M. Bassel, Company engineer and City engineer from 1920-1929.
The Bassel community in 1919.
Above: 106 of the Cottage Style homes were constructed in 1916.
Lincoln Road looking toward the Company plant and the Mule Barn, 1919.
The Mule Barn.
The Mule Barn in winter c. 1920s.
The Aluminum Company of America School, later the first Bassel School, was established in the Mule Barn in 1918.
Right: This picture of The Mule Barn, c. early 1920s, shows the location of the building in relation to Calvary Baptist Church located across Rankin Road.
Erected by City of Alcoa Arconic Foundation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee, City of Alcoa series list.
Location. 35° 45.953′ N, 83° 58.444′ W. Marker is in Alcoa, Tennessee, in Blount County. Marker is at the intersection of South Rankin Road and West Lincoln Street, on the left when traveling south on South Rankin Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 S Rankin Rd, Alcoa TN 37701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bassel School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Craig Fort - 1785 (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Craig's Fort (approx. 0.7 miles away); Maryville During the Civil War (approx. 0.7 miles away); Louis Philippe's Visit (approx. 0.7 miles away); Where Houston Enlisted (approx. 0.7 miles away); General Sam Houston (approx. 0.8 miles away); Blount County War Dead Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 8 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on April 12, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and surrounding area in context. • Can you help?