Bellefonte in Centre County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Laid out by James Dunlop and James Harris, 1795. Named by Talleyrand for "beautiful fountain". Early center of the iron industry. One-time home of five of Pennsylvania's governors.
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1795.
Location. 40° 54.721′ N, 77° 46.677′ W. Marker is in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, in Centre County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street and Allegheny Street (Pennsylvania Highway 144), in the median on High Street. Located in front of the County Court House. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellefonte PA 16823, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Andrew Gregg Curtin (a few steps from this marker); Centre County (a few steps from this marker); To All Who Served (within shouting distance of this marker); Centre County Veterans MemorialCentre County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Brockerhoff House (within shouting distance of this marker); W. F. Reynolds and Co. Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Anna Wagner Keichline (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellefonte.
More about this marker. This marker is duplicated at a location on Willowbank Street.
Also see . . . Everywhere You Look, Signs of Bellefonte History Continue. (Submitted on February 9, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 816 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.