Emory Place in Knox County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
St. John's Lutheran Church
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
Location. 35° 58.449′ N, 83° 55.416′ W. Marker is in Emory Place, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of Emory Place and North Broadway (U.S. 441), on the right when traveling east on Emory Place. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 544 N Broadway, Knoxville TN 37917, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Gray Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old Gray Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Boyle Temple (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lizzie Crozier French 1851-1926 (about 500 feet away); Catherine Wiley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Central United Methodist Church A National Cemetery System (approx. ¼ mile away); Knoxville National Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away).
Regarding St. John's Lutheran Church. Excerpt from the National Register nomination:
By 1910 the congregation had grown to sufficient size to warrant a larger facility and through a large donation by a wealthy congregant, two lots were purchased at the corner of Broadway and Emory Place and the local architect R.F. Graf was retained to design the new building. Richard Franklin Graf (1865-1929) began his architectural career in Knoxville in 1894 by joining the prominent pattern book architect George F. Barber in the firm of Barber and Kluttz. He started his own firm in 1907 under the name of R.F. Graf and Sons, architects and structural engineers. Ground was broken for the new church in August, 1911. The completed building was dedicated on May 25, 1913.
Also see . . . St. John's Lutheran Church (Knoxville, Tennessee). Wikipedia entry on the church, which was formed by congregants who preferred services in English rather than German. (Submitted on April 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. 2. submitted on April 14, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 3. submitted on April 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.