Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Plymouth Congregational Church
Congregational churches originated with the Puritan and Separatist churches of New England. Soon after “Michigan” (present-day Lansing) was chosen as the site of the state capital in 1847, the Reverend S. S. Brown, a Congregationalist with the Connecticut Home Missionary Society, came to Lansing and, together with seven members, formed a Congregational society. Local Congregationalists and Presbyterians cooperated under the national Plan of Union of 1801, which encouraged the two denominations to worship together. In 1864 Lansing Congregationalists established Plymouth Church, named for its New England origins. Plymouth Church founded two daughter churches, Pilgrim Congregational in 1892 and Mayflower Congregational in 1903.
When Lansing Congregationalists established the Plymouth Church in 1864, services were held in the Senate chambers of Michigan’s first capitol building in Lansing. In 1865 a chapel was erected at the corner of Washtenaw Street and Capitol Avenue. That building was later moved to a site at the corner of Allegan and Townsend Streets purchased for the church by Cortland Stebbins. In 1877 a monumental Gothic
Erected 1989 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1641.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is February 25, 1971.
Location. 42° 44.669′ N, 84° 31.327′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on Wood Street near East Grand River Avenue, on the right when traveling north. The marker is off the parking lot in the back of what is now Martin Luther High School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2001 East Grand River Avenue, Wyandotte MI 48192, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The "Queen City" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Michigan Millers Mutual Insurance Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Michigan National Guard Armory / 119th Field Artillery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lansing Fire Station No. 8 (approx. ¾ mile away); Church of the Resurrection / Monsignor John A. GabrielsUnion Depot (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Grand River / Grand River History (approx. 1.4 miles away); North Lansing Brenke Fish Ladder (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2022, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2022, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.