Newville in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
in memory of
the patriotic blacksmith and
forger of wrought iron cannon
during the Revolutionary War
Born 1737 - Died 1830
Erected 1890 by Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Industry & Commerce • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 40° 10.373′ N, 77° 23.79′ W. Marker is in Newville, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is in Big Spring Presbyterian Church Cemetery, about 100 feet south of the church building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newville PA 17241, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Revolutionary War Soldiers Buried in Big Springs Presbyterian Church Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Big Spring Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Laughlin Mill (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First National Bank of Newville (about 800 feet away); Newville War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newville Trolley (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Byers-Eckels House (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Presbyterian Church and Manse (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newville.
Also see . . .
1. In Memory of William Denning. An article about this marker, originally published by the New York Times on November 7th, 1890. (Submitted on June 3, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. William Denning. "William Denning, (1737-1830) American Revolution veteran for whom the park (Colonel Denning State Park) is named, was never a colonel but he is deserving of a place in history for his manufacturing of wrought iron cannons. William Denning served his country as a sergeant from March 1778 to April 1780 in Nathaniel Irish’s Company of Artillery Artificers in Benjamin Flower’s Regiment. Denning was stationed just outside of Carlisle, Pa., at Washingtonburg Forge, now Carlisle Barracks. The forge provided armaments for the Continental Army, including cannons. It is at this forge that William Denning made wrought iron
"Unfortunately, none of Denning’s cannons survive today. Historical documents help us imagine what Denning’s cannons looked like. It is not known when or who added the “colonel” to Sergeant William Denning’s name. After the Revolution, William Denning lived out his life near Newville, Pa, and is interred with his only son and daughter in the Big Spring Presbyterian Church cemetery in Newville."
Editor's Note: A nearby DAR marker lists Denning's rank as Private, which would have been permanent military rank at the time. (Submitted on June 4, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,395 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.