Newville in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The First National Bank of Newville
The bank prospered and in March 1871 purchased this lot for $1,600. Robert M. Black of Carlisle contracted to build a bank house of three stories and basement for $9,065.14. The bank was on the first floor, and the cashier had an apartment on the second floor, with the vault in the basement. The building was enlarged in 1912 and a new steel-lined vault was installed on the first floor.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1871.
Location. 40° 10.317′ N, 77° 23.943′ W. Marker is in Newville, Pennsylvania, in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 W Big Spring Avenue, Newville PA 17241, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newville War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Big Spring Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); William Denning (about 800 feet away); Revolutionary War Soldiers Buried in Big Springs Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newville Trolley (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Byers-Eckels House (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Presbyterian Church and Manse (approx. ¼ mile away); Laughlin Mill (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newville.
More about this marker. Bank is now F&M Trust.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 661 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.