Grand Isle in Grand Isle County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Grand Isle Schoolhouse #4
The Schoolhouse was built in 1814 and also is known as the "Block Schoolhouse.” It was constructed of foot-thick, squared-off logs, which can be viewed through a stove air vent on the outside south wall. Timbers were laid like a log cabin with lime and-sand mortar. One- and one-half-inch thick planks were nailed vertically on the outside of the logs and clapboards nailed onto the planks. Alterations were made in the 1930's to conform to State standards of larger windows and the addition of electricity. A study by the University of Vermont in 1989 revealed the original exterior color was yellow ochre.
Originally, it was located one-quarter mile east of Grand Isle Corners on the south side of the road now known at East Shore Road North. It was moved to the grounds of the Grand Isle Elementary School in 1954 and became a functional school building.
In 2003 the Grand Isle School Board donated the Schoolhouse to the Grand Isle Historical Society. In an effort to provide the public the opportunity to view the building, it was moved in late November of the same year to its present location. It is open to
Public lectures and programs of the Grand Isle Historical Society are held in the Schoolhouse. Occasionally, a retired teacher conducts 18oo's role-playing "classes” for students on field trips from nearby elementary schools.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1814.
Location. 44° 43.578′ N, 73° 17.529′ W. Marker is in Grand Isle, Vermont, in Grand Isle County. Marker is on U.S. 2, 0.3 miles north of Hyde Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Isle VT 05458, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hyde Log Cabin (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Hyde Log Cabin (a few steps from this marker); The Arts in the Islands/Les Arts dans les îles (approx. half a mile away); Woolsey Mansion (approx. 4.7 miles away in New York); Fort Izard (approx. 4.9 miles away in New York); Addoms - Hagar Burial Ground (approx. 5 miles away in New York); John Addoms (approx. 5.2 miles away in New York); Macdonough Farm (approx. 5½ miles away in New York). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Isle.
Also see . . . Grand Isle Historical Society. (Submitted on April 21, 2022, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2022, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2022, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.