Ironville in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Sons of Temperance Hall
This movement criticized alcohol intoxication, promoted complete abstinence from alcohol and emphasized it's negative effects on people's health, personalities and family lives. The group was founded in 1842 in New York City and Ironville's local society was organized in 1849. It seems that it was supported by local businessmen and religious leaders due to the fact that their meeting place was located here by the Church. About 1870 the building was owned by Crown Point Iron Company and used as a private residence.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 43° 55.333′ N, 73° 32.204′ W. Marker is in Ironville, New York, in Essex County. Marker is on Creek Road (County Route 2) 0.1 miles west of Whitehead Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 721 Creek Rd, Crown Point NY 12928, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ironville Historic District (here, next to this marker); The Birthplace of the Electrical Age (here, next to this marker); Penfield Homestead MuseumHistoric Walking Tour (within shouting distance of this marker); Irondale (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Penfield Homestead Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Penfield Pond (within shouting distance of this marker); 1873 Expansion (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ironville.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2022, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2022, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.