Mentz in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mentz Bernardo Community
The German settlers who founded Mentz named the pioneer community for an area of their homeland. Predominately Roman Catholic, they established St. Roch Parish by 1858 under the leadership of priests from Frelsburg. The church developed as the religious, social and cultural center of the area.
Bernardo was begun about 1845 on an important early route from Houston to inland settlements. Because of its location on the prairie land of the San Bernard river, the rural community was first known as Bernardo Prairie.
Once identified by separate schools and post offices, the two settlements now share a common lifestyle and heritage, which reflect the continued influence of the early German settlers. Their descendants still live in
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3341.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 29° 45.01′ N, 96° 26.303′ W. Marker is in Mentz, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is on Mentz Road, 0.1 miles east of Frelsburg Road, on the left when traveling east. The marker is located on the front entrance to the church on the west side. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1600 Frelsburg Road, Alleyton TX 78935, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Rock's Church (here, next to this marker); Alleyton C.S.A. (approx. 3.8 miles away); Alleyton Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Alleyton (approx. 4.2 miles away); Beason's (Beeson's) Crossing (approx. 6.6 miles away); Harrison-Hastedt House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Benjamin Beason's Crossing (approx. 6.6 miles away); Hahn House (approx. 6.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Mentz, TX.
The settlers built a small church in 1858 and named it after a St. Roch chapel in the vicinity of Bingen and Büdesheim. From 1872 to 1916 Mentz had a Catholic school staffed by the Sisters of Divine Providence.(Submitted on April 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 19, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.