Lewisburg in Marshall County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
of Historic Places
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture.
Location. 35° 28.774′ N, 86° 48.406′ W. Marker is in Lewisburg, Tennessee, in Marshall County. Marker is at the intersection of New Columbia Highway (U.S. 431) and Tennessee Road 50, on the right when traveling north on New Columbia Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1498 New Columbia Hwy, Lewisburg TN 37091, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jones Training School (approx. 2 miles away); 1949 Whiteway Lighting System (approx. 2.3 miles away); Dixie Theater (approx. 2.3 miles away); Abner Houston (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Historic Ladies Rest Room (approx. 2.3 miles away); Civil War in Marshall County (approx. 2.3 miles away); Marshall County Confederate Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away); Desert Shield / Desert Storm Monument (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewisburg.
Regarding Ewing Farm.
James Ewing and his sister Eleanor came to what was Bedford County, Tennessee from Virginia in the early 1800s. They settled on a tract of land of about one thousand acres and constructed a log house where they lived at the time of the arrival of their nephew James V. Ewing in the mid 1820s. The farm was productive enough to warrant the introduction of slaves by 1822. James Ewing died in 1826 and their nephew helped Eleanor run the farm until her death in 1831.
James V. Ewing was born on February 14, 1805, in Wythe County, Virginia. He was in his late teens when he arrived in Tennessee. He married in 1830 and built the original two-story section of the present house. He was involved in Marshall County government, serving as trustee from 1838 to 1846 and as chairman of the County Court in 1847, 1849 54, and 1856. He was a prominent local farmer and traded land, including town lots, when the city of Lewisburg was being formed. The main house was altered to its present configuration probably in the 1870s.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 25, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. 2. submitted on April 26, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 3. submitted on April 25, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.