York in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
York County Courthouses
There have been four York County courthouses on this site. The first courthouse was constructed of squared logs in 1786. In 1799 it was replaced by a small brick building. Noted S.C. architect Robert Mills designed a third courthouse, completed in 1825. This building was constructed of local granite and red brick, with a large portico and Doric columns. The second story was badly damaged by an accidental fire in 1892.
The 1825 courthouse was remodeled following the 1892 fire. It was replaced by a Classical style courthouse completed in 1915. Designed by William Augustus Edwards, the courthouse was one of nine Edwards designed county courthouses in S.C. The monumental two-story yellow brick building features a colossal Ionic tetrastyle portico. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1981 and renovated in 2016.
Erected 2016 by Yorkville Historical Society; and The Culture & Heritage Museums of York County. (Marker Number 46-64.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina, York County Historical Commission series list.
Location. 34° 59.632′ N, 81° 14.54′ W. Marker is in York, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is on South Congress Street (Business U.S. 321) just south of West Liberty Street (State Highway 161/5), on the right when traveling south. Marker is located beside the sidewalk on the east/front side of the York County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 South Congress Street, York SC 29745, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. York County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Historic York (within shouting distance of this marker); Bratton House Site / Jefferson Davis's Flight (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity M. E. Church, South (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); York County Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away); Town of Yorkville / Town of York (about 700 feet away); Barnett Brothers Circus, 1929 ~ 1945 / Bennett Brothers Circus, 1929 ~ 1938 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in York.
Regarding York County Courthouses.
Also see . . .
1. York County Courthouse.
The York County Courthouse was designed in the Classical Revival style by Darlington native William Augustus Edwards who designed eight other South Carolina courthouses as well as academic buildings at 12 institutions in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina.(Submitted on April 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. York County Courthouse.
The interior features tile floors with inlaid Greek key patterning, marble wainscoting and door surrounds, and stairs at both ends of the longitudinal hall. The courtroom on the second floor has a plaster vaulted ceiling, Tuscan pilasters lining the walls, and an apse at the north end, containing a wooded crossetted tabernacle frame, which serves as a backdrop for the judge’s seat.(Submitted on April 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.