Near Morgantown in Monongalia County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Little Log Cabin
William H. Pyles built The Little Log Cabin on Pedlar Run in Clay District, Monongalia County, in 1834. He and his wife Catherine sold the property to Hosea Wade in 1840. Hosea and his wife Clarissa sold the property to John Wildman in 1841. In 1878 John and his wife Mary sold the property to their son Jarrett Wildman. When Jarrett died in 1898, his children inherited the house and land. With Simon L. Wildman acting as Trustee, the heirs of Jarrett Wildman sold the property to Norman Cordray in 1917. Cordray donated the cabin to the 4-H Camp in 1945.
Erected by Weldon Family Foundation and BB&T Trust.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the 4-H Youth Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 39° 32.854′ N, 79° 58.815′ W. Marker is near Morgantown, West Virginia, in Monongalia County. Marker is on 4H Camp Road (County Route 76) one mile north of Goshen Road (County Route 77), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Big Log Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Grant Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dining Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Morgan Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Muffly (within shouting distance of this marker); Cass Cabin (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clinton Cabin (about 400 feet away); The Office (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morgantown.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2022, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2022, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.