Owatonna in Steele County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
National Register of Historic Places
The state of Minnesota closed this institution in 1970, and the city of Owatonna purchased this Main Building in the spring of 1974. In 1975, Owatonna citizens sought recognition from the National Park Service for the historical and architectural significance of the building. Their request was granted, and later that year this Main Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 44° 5.364′ N, 93° 14.282′ W. Marker is in Owatonna, Minnesota, in Steele County. Marker is on West Hills Circle, 0.1 miles west of State Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Located on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 540 W Hills Cir, Owatonna MN 55060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. State Public School for Dependent & Neglected Children 1886 - 1945 (here, next to this marker); State School Buildings and Grounds (here, next to this marker); There Were Many...I Was But One (a few steps from this marker); Minnesota State Public School for Dependent and Neglected Children (a few steps from this marker); State Schoolers U.S. Military Memorial (a few steps from this marker); History of State School Rock Garden (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); History of the State School Root Cellar (about 700 feet away); History of the State Public School Children’s Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Owatonna.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2022. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 30, 2022.