Fort Macleod in Willow Creek District, Alberta — Canada’s Prairie Region
The bridge was opened in Jun 9, 1909 to the delight of residents. It provided easier and safer access to the trail to Calgary and to farms located north of the river.
The MacKenzie Bridge was named after Malcolm MacKenzie who was born in 1863 in Bruce County, Ontario. He moved to Macleod to practice law in partnership with F.W. Haultain beginning in 1897, and was one of the prosecutors at the trial of Charcoal for the murder of Sgt. Wilde of the NWMP. In 1905 he was the first member for Macleod elected to the legislature of the newly formed province of Alberta. In 1912 he was appointed Provincial Treasurer of Alberta but passed away in 1913 shortly after his appointment.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts Government & Politics. A significant historical date for this entry is June 9, 1909.
Location. 49° 43.86′ N, 113° 23.84′ W. Marker is in Fort Macleod, Alberta, in Willow Creek District. Marker is on 6 Avenue (Provincial Road 811) just north of 30 Street/Water Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is mounted on a post along a pedestrian path beside the road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Macleod AB T0L 0Z0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Territorial Court House/L’ancien palais de justice (approx. one kilometer away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 1, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and surrounding area in context. • Can you help?