Claresholm in Willow Creek District, Alberta — Canada’s Prairie Region
Claresholm Train Station
The present building was originally part of Calgary's 9th Avenue CPR station. Constructed in 1893 of sandstone drawn from the Elbow River Quarry, the Calgary site was composed of two separate buildings surrounded by an extensive garden park. The station gardens were widely promoted by the CPR and other rail companies across the country in the period from 1907 to 1930.
The CPR dismantled the Calgary Station in 1910. Half of the materials were shipped to Claresholm to be used in the construction of a new station. The remaining sandstone was sent to High River, where a sister station was erected.
Claresholm's sandstone station building was completed in December 1911. It served the community until 1965, when regular passenger service was discontinued. In 1969 the former station was officially opened as the Claresholm Museum. From 1990 to 1992 the Town of Claresholm undertook extensive upgrading
Photographs courtesy of the Glenbow Archives, Calgary. Above left: Gardens at CPR Calgary, early 1900's. Above: CPR Depot, Calgary, 1905
Erected by Main Street Alberta.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1911.
Location. 50° 1.664′ N, 113° 34.934′ W. Marker is in Claresholm, Alberta, in Willow Creek District. Marker is at the intersection of 1 Street West (Provincial Highway 2) and 52 Avenue West, on the right when traveling north on 1 Street West. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5126 1 St W, Claresholm AB T0L 0T0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Also see . . .
1. Canadian Pacific Railway Station Building. Canadian Register of Historic Places listing for the train station, which was designated in 2004. (HistoricPlaces.ca) (Submitted on May 1, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
2. Claresholm’s Canadian Pacific Railway Station. Short history of the station by the museum that now occupies it. (Claresholm & District Museum) (Submitted on May 1, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 1, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.