Heinsburg in St. Paul County, Alberta — Canada’s Prairie Region
CNR Water Tank
Heinsburg became a terminal and turn around point for the Canadian National Railway (CNR) Coronado sub-division in the 1920's after the proposed Heinsburg-Frenchman Butte link was cancelled. A water tank was needed at Mile 160 to supply the thirsty Consolidated steam locomotives hauling freight and passengers to this area so the company built a large tank for this purpose. It was completed in July, 1930.
In addition to railroad needs, Heinsburg's tank also provided water for the Riverside Hotel and the old curling rink which was located immediately south west of the tank. CNR discontinued the tank's operation in the 1960's.
Only eight tanks of this size were constructed in Alberta. This is the only tank in Alberta still standing on its original location. Most of the plumbing installed in 1930 remains intact.
In the late 1960's CN was to demolish the Heinsburg Water Tower, but the Honorable Don Mazankowski MP Vegreville, alerted by long time County Councillor Bob Smith and colleague Rudy Cote about CN's plans, intervened on behalf of the local community, effectively
[Remainder of marker not transcribed]
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1930.
Location. 53° 46.016′ N, 110° 31.293′ W. Marker is in Heinsburg, Alberta, in St. Paul County. Marker is at the intersection of Township Road 553B and 1 Street East on Township Road 553B. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Heinsburg AB T0A 1X0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 2, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.