Dayton in Columbia County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
Columbia County Courthouse
Downtown Dayton Historical District
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Law Enforcement. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 46° 19.267′ N, 117° 58.711′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Washington, in Columbia County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (U.S. 12) and North 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 341 E Main St, Dayton WA 99328, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Dayton (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbia County (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad Track Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oldest Existing Depot in the State of Washington (about 400 feet away); The Celilo Falls Trail (about 700 feet away); Cayuse, Umatilla, and Walla Walla Homeland (approx. ¼ mile away); "a good road" Smith Hollow Schoolhouse (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Regarding Columbia County Courthouse. Excerpt from the National Register nomination:
By 1882, the movement to construct a courthouse in Dayton grew to such proportions that a vote was taken. The proposal lost, 447 to 255. Some say the proposition lost at the polls because the voters felt the plan, which called for a $7,000 structure, was inadequate or "not much better than no building at all". In 1884, the voters returned to the polls and approved a $40,000 bond issue to build the much needed courthouse. In 1886, the Territorial Council authorized Columbia County to build the courthouse and the House of Representatives ratified the Council's action that same year.
Also see . . . Columbia County Courthouse (PDF). National Register nomination and photographs submitted for the courthouse, which was listed in 1975. (National Archives) (Submitted on May 3, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 3, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.