Wenatchee in Chelan County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center
The first federal building was built in 1917 at the corner of Yakima and Mission. It housed the post office until 1937 when the second building was constructed. The first building then became known as the post office annex and housed many federal offices, including the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The basement of the annex building, filled with giant refrigerators and laboratories, bears silent witness to the pioneering research done in North Central Washington in the field of controlled atmosphere storage.
Both buildings are excellent representations of federal architecture. A fiercely protective eagle is over the main entry to the museum.
The buildings were purchased in October of 1975 by the City of Wenatchee for the new home of the North Central Washington Museum. Later changes included a skywalk to connect the buildings, enlarging areas for an art gallery and the Heritage Reference Center, Central Washington's main repository of historic artifacts.
In 2001 the
Both the post office and the annex are listed on the Wenatchee and National Registers of Historic Places.
Erected by Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center Wenatchee Downtown Association Cascade Graphics & Printing Community Foundation of N.C.W. Wenatachee Valley Convention & Visitors Bureau Nevio Tontini.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Communications. A significant historical year for this entry is 1917.
Location. 47° 25.341′ N, 120° 18.66′ W. Marker is in Wenatchee, Washington, in Chelan County. Marker is on South Mission Street (Washington Route 285) north of Yakima Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 127 S Mission St, Wenatchee WA 98801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Judge Thomas Burke (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Mission Indian Cemetery (approx. 9.2 miles away).
Also see . . . U.S. Post Office and Annex (PDF). National Register of Historic Places nomination file for the complex, which was designated in 1977. (National Archives) (Submitted on May 3, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 3, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.