Pearlington in Hancock County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
The town of Napoleon was first settled here in 1767 as a 640-acre British land grant to John Claudius Favre. In 1861 it was sold to Simon Favre, who built his home and businesses here. Residents were relocated in 1961 to make way for the buffer zone needed for engine testing at the John C. Stennis Space Center for NASA's Apollo Moon program. Napoleon is among Mississippi's oldest European settlements.
Erected 2018 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 30° 19.69′ N, 89° 37.838′ W. Marker is in Pearlington, Mississippi, in Hancock County. Marker is on Napoleon Boat Launch Road, 0.7 miles west of Old Napoleon-Westonia Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pearlington MS 39572, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John C. Stennis Space Center (approx. 1.3 miles away); F-1 Rocket EngineH-1 Rocket Engine (approx. 1.9 miles away); Special Operations Craft Riverine (approx. 1.9 miles away); TAO Buoy (approx. 1.9 miles away); Tsunami Buoy (approx. 1.9 miles away); Infinity Eagle (approx. 2 miles away); Gainesville Volunteers (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pearlington.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 5, 2022, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 5, 2022, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.