Burson in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Named Camanche in 1849 after Camanche, Iowa. Once called Limerick. Peak population 1500. Rich mining at nearby Cat Camp, Poverty Bar, and Sand Hill. Mokelumne River water brought in by Lancha Plana and Poverty Bar ditch. Fire June 21, 1873, destroyed large Chinatown. Buhach manufactured on the nearby Hill Ranch.
Monument and plaque erected by Calaveras County Historical Society and Residents of Camanche, in cooperation with the California State Park Commission
April 8, 1956.
Historical landmark plaque no. 254 was formerly located at the now submerged townsite of Camanche one half mile to your left (West).
These hand hewn blocks are mortise stones from the south abutment of the Westmoreland suspension bridge, constructed during the Gold Rush era and formerly located two miles northeast of here.
Plaque placed and rededicated by the East Bay Municipal Utility District in cooperation with the Calavaeras County Historical Society May 5, 1968.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural Resources • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1926.
Location. 38° 12.421′ N, 120° 55.282′ W. Marker is in Burson, California, in Calaveras County. Marker can be reached from Camanche Parkway South. Marker is located at the Monument RV Campground on the South Shore of Camanche Lake. This is a fee use area, however staff will supply a 45 minute guess pass to view marker. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burson CA 95225, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lancha Plana (approx. 2.4 miles away); Campo Seco (approx. 3.9 miles away); Valley Spring (approx. 5.1 miles away); Buena Vista (approx. 6 miles away); Buena Vista Store (approx. 6 miles away); Double Springs (approx. 7.1 miles away); Jenny Lind (approx. 8.3 miles away); Clements Elementary School (approx. 8.9 miles away).
Regarding Camanche. The town site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 254 on September 3, 1937.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Article on Camanche, California. (Submitted on June 7, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,093 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 7, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 5. submitted on August 23, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.