Valdosta in Lowndes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Valdosta City Hall
Historic Downtown Valdosta
Formerly a United States Post Office and Federal
courthouse designed by U.S. Treasury Department
Architect J. Knox Taylor
Rehabilitated and restored by the City of Valdosta
Rededicated in 2010
216 East Central Avenue
Erected by The Central Valdosta Development Authority.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Location. 30° 49.981′ N, 83° 16.649′ W. Marker is in Valdosta, Georgia, in Lowndes County. Marker is on East Central Avenue (U.S. 84/221) just west of North Lee Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, just to the right of the south entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta GA 31601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christian Science Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Lowndes County Ashley Street Market (about 500 feet away); Register Bros. Building (about 500 feet away); Millhous & Boothe Building (about 500 feet away); Spanish American War Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away); Primitive Baptist Church (about 500 feet away); Dosta Theater (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valdosta.
Regarding Valdosta City Hall. Contributing property, Valdosta Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places #83000234 & #02001633.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Historic Downtown Valdosta
Also see . . .
1. Valdosta’s City Halls.
(Link includes photos of the original building during construction.) This Italian Renaissance Revival building originally was a United States Post Office and Courthouse from 1910 until 1968. This four-story building features stuccoed masonry, a limestone water-table, limestone columns, wrought-iron balconies, and a hipped terracotta barrel tile roof.(Submitted on May 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Valdosta Commercial Historic District. (Submitted on May 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.