Valdosta in Lowndes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Register Bros. Building
Historic Downtown Valdosta
123 N. Ashley Street
Erected by The Central Valdosta Development Authority.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 30° 49.915′ N, 83° 16.696′ W. Marker is in Valdosta, Georgia, in Lowndes County. Marker is on North Ashley Street (Business U.S. 41) north of East Hill Avenue (U.S. 84/221), on the right when traveling north. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, between the storefront windows. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 North Ashley Street, Valdosta GA 31601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ashley Street Market (a few steps from this marker); Millhous & Boothe Building (a few steps from this marker); Dosta Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Lowndes County (within shouting distance of this marker); September 11, 2001 Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lowndes County Confederate MonumentSpanish American War Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away); United States Bicentennial — Lowndes County Sesquicentennial (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valdosta.
Regarding Register Bros. Building. Contributing property, Valdosta Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places #83000234 & #02001633.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Historic Downtown Valdosta
Also see . . .
1. 123 North Ashley Street.
Lot purchased July 8, 1871, by H. P. Morris for the Right Reverend John W. Beckwith D. D. Bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Georgia and his successors in office, for $100. Although a church was not constructed on this lot, the purchase of the property signifies the Diocese of Georgia’s 1871 presence in Valdosta. The Diocese retained this property for 38 years, selling it December 29, 1909, to J. M. Smith for $4,500. The lot held the following businesses: vacant lot (1885, 1889, 1895), snack house (1900), restaurant (1905), furniture store (1911, 1912), and music store (1922).(Submitted on May 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Valdosta Commercial Historic District(Submitted on May 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.