Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Green Building
Under Thomas F. Green, the patient population soared from 60 to over 700. Care of patients was based [unreadable] as family. This modeled hospitals to resemble an extended family.
The Green Building was used for more than 30 years beginning in 1947. It was used to house white convalescent patients who suffered from conditions such as schizophrenia.
These patients were likely to never leave.
In the late 1970's and early 1980's, it was re-opened and given to Baldwin County. It was last used by the Department of Children and Family Services, Head Start, and for gifted students and adult literacy.
(Left) Thomas F. Green
(Right) Backside of the Green Building
Erected by Central State Hospital Redevelopment Authority.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1947.
Location. 33° 3.191′ N, 83° 13.282′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is on Swint Avenue Southeast, 0.1 miles north of Broad Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Walker Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Powell Building (about 600 feet away); Milledgeville State Hospital (about 600 feet away); Cornerstone/Auditorium Building (about 700 feet away); Summer Home (of) Governor Herschel V. Johnson (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Wilkinson (approx. Ύ mile away); Old Fort Wilkinson (approx. 0.8 miles away); Cedar Lane Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Regarding The Green Building. It is among some 200 buildings on the former hospital campus. The Central State Hospital Redevelopment Authority was created to revitalize and re-purpose the 2,000-acre site, which has been re-branded as Renaissance Park for business purposes.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.