Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Whyte House / White Building
The west wing of this building was
constructed in 1920 and is named
in honor of
James Primrose Whyte
Dean and beloved Professor of
Literature and Sociology at
Anderson College from 1918 to 1922.
John E. White Building
Constructed in 1960
This building is named in honor of
Dr. John Ellington White
Orator, Scholar and Dynamic President of
Anderson College from 1916 to 1927.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
Location. 34° 30.8′ N, 82° 38.267′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker can be reached from Boulevard. Marker is located on the south side of the building, on the campus of Anderson University. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 316 Boulevard, Greenville SC 29601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pratt Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Sullivan Music Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Denmark Hall (about 500 feet away); Abney Athletic CenterAnderson College Infirmary (about 600 feet away); The H.H. Watkins Teaching Center (about 700 feet away); The J.E. Rouse Dormitory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ralph John Ramer House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer (approx. half a mile away); McGee Harness Shop (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . .
1. Anderson University. Official website of Anderson University. (Submitted on June 8, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Anderson University (South Carolina). Anderson University is a private university located in Anderson, South Carolina, offering bachelors and masters degrees in approximately 50 areas of study. (Submitted on June 8, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Anderson College Historic District. In the spring of 1910 the Anderson Chamber of Commerce inaugurated a subscription campaign to raise money to build a college for young women in Anderson. (Submitted on June 8, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)